Subject: Conversion from QuickBooks via Datablox

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:56:50 -0600

Hello all:

I've been a gnucash user for several years, but I've never posted to
the devlist before (I did post to gnucash-users back in April of 2004,
see attached).

In 2004, I fiddled around with converting my previous QuickBooks data to
gnucash.  I used software by DataBlox
(http://www.datablox.com/qb/qboview.htm) coupled with a TCL script
(http://www.ids.net/~gregan/arzoosw/download.html) for the primary data
extraction, then wrote some python scripts to convert the data into qif
files.

None of this really panned out.  It didn't seem to be an issue with the
data export, but rather my inability at guile and limitations of the QIF
format.  As time passed, it seemed much less important to preserve the
financial data from QuickBooks.  When I returned to graduate school, the
project was shelved indefinetly.

OK, what's the point?  I'd like to know if there is an interest in being
able to do a QuickBooks->gnucash conversion.  If so, and there is a
gnucash developer interested in pursuing the topic, I'd be happy to
donate the copy of the DataBlox software I purchased.

If anyone is interested, please contact me off list (I don't subscribe,
and I doubt most the developers are interested in the pursuent
discussion).

Cheers,

-- 
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
[email-masked]                from disclaimer import standard
public key @ pgp.mit.edu B5354B76

"We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which are identified
by name as they are used to build larger ones, so that devices like
indentation, rather than delimiters, might become feasible for expressing local
structure in the source language."

-- Donald E. Knuth, "Structured Programming with goto Statements", Computing
Surveys, Vol 6 No 4, Dec. 1974